The International Script Competition:
The STAGE International Script Competition, now in its fifth cycle, awards a $10,000 USD prize for the best new play about science and technology in content and/or form.
The prize is given at a public awards event with distinguished professionals from the worlds of theatre, film, science and/or technology, to be held in conjunction with a staged reading/performance/demonstration with a cast of professional actors.* In addition, the winning playwright will have access to advice and guidance from professional theatre and film artists as well as experts in the fields of science, engineering and technology. Other development opportunities for the winning script may be possible.
What is STAGE?
STAGE – Scientists, Technologists and Artists Generating Exploration – a unique collaboration between art and science, began as a partnership between the Professional Artists Lab and the California NanoSystems Institute at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
STAGE endeavors to:
- Cultivate appreciation and collaboration between the two cultures of science and art
- Catalyze the development of art that depicts the technological age in which we live
- Promote understanding of the sciences in the public arena
- Foster new and imaginative voices and methods of storytelling
- Accomplish all of the above within an international community
*Specific circumstances of the staged reading/performance/demonstration will vary, appropriate to each script and to be determined by the Competition. For examples, please go to News & Events.